Naturally with electric scooters the battery will tend to need to be taken care of if you want to ensure the maximum use, or you'll have to replace it more often should you neglect battery care. In a bid to ensure you get the most life out of your electric scooter or mobility scooter battery, check out our battery care tips below.
Scooter and car batteries (Sealed Lead acid batteries)
Car and Scooter batteries are covered by a 3 month warranty. A battery is defective if it offers no power at all. Reduction in battery power during its lifetime is a normal.
Mobility scooters are deep cycle batteries are warranty is 6 months
Correct battery charging:
The charging system of the battery pack must be periodically checked to ensure that it doesn’t overcharge the battery, which can result in rejection of the warranty claim. Leaving the battery pack on charge for longer than 12 hours could result in over charging.
Active management of an unused battery pack:
Once purchased, the customer should be aware that the formation and build up of lead sulphate crystals will occur in a battery that is left standing over a long time period. This will result in battery failure due to resistance in electron movement. As this is natural degeneration and not due to poor battery manufacture, a warranty claim cannot be accepted in this instance.
The good news is that it is possible to guard against lead sulphate build up through periodic battery charging. Probe recommends charging unused batteries once a month.
The existing warranty period applies to the replacement battery:
Many customers struggle to understand this concept, but it is important to note that the second, replacement battery that may be provided to the customer will only have a warranty period that remains from the first battery’s warranty period.
For example, should the first battery be replaced at 1 months within a 3-month warranty period, the second, replacement battery will only have a warranty period for the 2 remaining months of the original warranty period.
Lithium Ion Batteries:
Found in all GoBoards, Hoverboards and self balancing scooters Lithium Polymer and Li-ion batteries are volatile. Failure to read and follow the below instructions may result in fire, personal injury and damage to property.
Li-Ion and Polymer battery & packs may explode and cause fire if misused. By purchasing Lithium Polymer and Li-ion battery, the buyer assumes all risks associated with lithium battery usage.
- Please ensure proper supervision of kids by an adult at all times.
- Do not place the battery in or near fire, on stoves or other high temperature locations
- Do not disassemble or modify the battery
- Use specific Lithium Polymer (LiPo)/Li-ion charger only
- Never make wrong polarity connection when charging batteries
- Do not drop the batteries
- Do not get batteries wet.
- Never charge batteries unattended. When charging a LiPo/Li-ion battery you should always remain in constant observation to monitor the charging process and react to potential problems that may occur. Failure to do so may result in fire.
- If at any time you witness a battery starting to balloon, swell up, smoke or become extremely hot, discontinue the charging process immediately, disconnect the battery and observe it in a safe place for approximately 15 minutes
- Lithium batteries can explode, catch fire, and/or cause burns if disassembled, punctured, cut, crushed, short circuited, incinerated, recharged, or exposed to water, fire, or high temperatures.
- If the scooter has been involved in an accident make the batteries are not damaged before next charge and next use.
A FIRE IS MOST LIKELY TO OCCUR DURING THE CHARGING PROCESS UNDER THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES:
- CHARGING IS ATTEMPTED AT TEMPERATURES BELOW 40Â°F (4Â°C). Charging below 40Â°F (4Â°C), causes a chemical reaction in the battery cells that can cause permanent damage and the possibility of fire or explosion during charging.
- THE BATTERY HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO LIQUIDS, ESPECIALLY SALTWATER. Exposure to liquids can cause internal corrosion or damage to the cells or to the Battery Management System (BMS). The BMS protects the battery from overcharging, high self- discharge or imbalanced charging of the cells, any of which can present the possibility of fire during recharging.
- OPERATING OR CHARGING A BATTERY THAT HAS BEEN DAMAGED FROM DROPPING OR FROM SHIPPING DAMAGE.
- USING A CHARGER OTHER THAN SPECIFICALLY DESIGNATED FOR THE PARTICULAR BATTERY.
- THE BATTERY HAS BEEN FULLY DISCHARGED AND IS NOT RECHARGED SHORTLY AFTERWARD.
This potential is aggravated if batteries are damaged, contain an undetected factory defect, are used or stored at temperature extremes. Ideally, batteries should be recharged within 24 hours of a full discharge.
If you are unable or unwilling to follow these instructions, please return the product immediately to SA Scooter Shop for a full refund. Click here Subject to the guarantee requirements SA Scooter Shop will not be liable for any loss suffered or damages resulting from any cause related to any lithium battery product purchased from us.
Sealed lead acid batteries (SLAs)
Used on all our cars and scooters (except the self balance GOBOARD scooter) Here are some useful tips for caring for SLA batteries ...
Heat is the enemy of SLA's, and indeed most battery types. Heat degrades the electrolytes and increases the rate of self discharge, causing a battery to slowly discharge when not in use.
Over-discharge of an SLA battery is a quick way to kill it. A battery should not be allowed to go completely flat rather charge when you feel it going flat. Most rechargeable batteries suffer from self-discharge, a small leakage current in the battery that will discharge the battery when not in use.
That is why you should never store your scooter when the battery is flat. Always ensure that the battery is charged up if you are going to store it for a week / month.
Batteries should always be charged after use and charged every few months if stored unused for extended periods.
Do not lift the batteries by the connector wires, or they will break off. Do not let the battery terminals touch each other during replacement.
Proper disposal requires that you take your dead battery to a federal or state approved lead acid battery recycler. The batteries supplied in your Razor product are sealed lead-acid type batteries and therefore are unsuitable for regular trash disposal receptacles.
Search online or check with a local retailer that sells automotive batteries about recommendations for a facility closest to you.
Helpful Hint: Frequent "stop and starts" will drain a battery more quickly than sustained, long term use.
Storage to ensure long battery life:
Always turn the power switch off and recharge for at least 8 hours after each use. Your charger indicates a full charge if the green light is solid after charging for a full eight hours. When the vehicle is not in regular use, recharge the battery at least once a month until normal use is resumed.
If you have left the power switch on or your product has not been charged for a long period of time, the battery may reach a stage at which it will no longer hold a charge. Even with proper care, a rechargeable battery does not last forever. Average battery life depends on use and conditions.
Chargers are designed to avoid over-charging a battery, but we recommend that you always unplug a charger after the unit is fully charged to avoid the possibility of unanticipated circumstances such as an unexpected power surge from a lightning strike (or other power line anomaly) potentially causing damage. Do not over charge your batteries
So to recap:
- Always keep the batteries charged, but do not over charge
- Store the batteries in a cool place
- Charge more often when in use and do not drain the battery completely flat
- Never store the batteries when they are flat- charge first...then store
- As the batteries lifespan is dependent on the user and charging intervals, Batteries are only covered for 90 days.
Ready to buy your next scooter?
SA Scooters is an online store but we also have branches in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban for those who want to visit our show room and take any of our ranges for a test drive. Browse our selection of reliable and high quality scooters, go karts, hoverboards and more. We accept orders online and even offer free delivery nation wide.