If your kids have mastered the scooter, it could be time to move onto a hoverboard. It will certainly challenge their balance, coordination and guarantee hours of fun.
1. What are hoverboards?
Hoverboards are the latest trend in electric riding devices, and they have grown in popularity in South Africa over the past few years. The hoverboard is ultimately a self-balancing board with two motorized wheels. The rider stands and steers, similar to an electric scooter, but without the bar.
2. How to ride a hoverboard?
Riders control the board by just using their feet, tilting and balance. Hoverboards are extremely sensitive, so always apply pressure lightly to begin and gradually increase it. The more familiar you become with your board, the more you will be able to intuitive these movements will become.
- To move forward, you have to lean forward, pushing down with your toes.
- To move backwards, lean back pushing down on your heels.
- To Turn, push your right foot forward to turn right, push your left foot forward to turn left.
- To stop or brake, lean back slowly and bring yourself to the upright position. Your board will slow down as the tilt decreases, and you can step off once the speed is slow enough.
3. How do hoverboards work?
To understand how hoverboards work, you will first need to know what is inside.
What are hoverboards made of? What’s inside?
While there are many different brands and makes, almost all standard hoverboards have the following components:
- Frame with a central pivot
- Logic board
- Pair of gyroscopes
- Pair of infrared sensors
- Two electric motors with speed/tilt sensors
- Power switch
- Charging port
- A lithium-ion battery pack
- LED indicator lights
- Pressure plates under the footpads
Hoverboards are made in such a way that each wheel has a set of speed sensors, tilt sensors and gyroscopes. These are placed just under the frame of the hoverboard. The gyroscope will then send messages to the logic board when the rider leans back or forward. The more you tilt, the faster you will go.
4. Alternative Uses for the Hoverboard
You would be surprised to know that the hoverboard is more than just a fun ride; but can also be used as:
- Personal transportation - Hoverboards have proved to be great for short commutes, just like skateboards or electric scooters. Cut down on your travel time and have some fun while you at it.
- Fitness Gear - Balancing on your hoverboard can be an excellent workout, focusing on your core, lower back and abdominal muscles.
5. How User-friendly are Hoverboards
While hoverboards are easy to ride, some are easier to control than others. The speed of a hoverboard determines the difficulty of riding it. Slower hoverboards are easier to ride and control. As the speed increases, the difficulty increases.
6. The Fun Factor - Getting The Most Out Of Your Ride
There are many fun ways to ride a hoverboard, and it is excellent for indoor or outdoor fun day and night.
With Bluetooth connectivity, you can enjoy listening to music from the board’s sound speakers.
Lights Up Your Way
The LED headlights make it easy to see your way in the dark
Satisfy Your Need For Speed
With 100% power, you can travel up to 20km and with a top speed of 10km/h
Level Up Your Game With Tricks
If you have enough riding experience under your belt, you want to try one of these fun tricks:
- The Spin
- The One Foot Circle
- The Sitting Spin
7. What is the recommended age to ride a hoverboard?
The majority of hoverboard models are intended for riders aged 8 and up. Rider recommendation is also based on physical size, maturity, and skill level. Some children might not be able to handle it. We recommend that anyone, young or old, always wears properly-fitted protective gear when riding a hoverboard.
8. Is it safe to ride on a hoverboard?
Hoverboards today are designed with children in mind and are relatively safe, as long as they are age-appropriate and have the proper protective gear. It is essential to teach your kids that the hoverboard is more than just a toy but rather a motorized vehicle that should be used responsibly and cautiously.
Practice makes perfect
As with learning any new skill, the more you practice, the closer you get to mastering it. Keep trying, and you'll be a pro hoverboarder in no time. Who know's you might even activate flight like Marty McFly.
We'd love to hear from you; tell us how you are coming along with your hoverboard skills or why you want to get one. Simply comment below and start the conversation.
Don't just Hover around, start having some fun
We've taken you through the facts, the do's the don'ts and highlighted all the fun. So quit hovering around and get the board that's going to change your life.
Browse our range of Hoverboards or get in touch with us here and we'll take you through the options available. Soon enough you’ll get out there and discover a new and exciting way of navigating the world.